Tuesday, August 10, 2010

School Supply Lists

I teach in a middle school (grades 6-8), and each grade level creates a school supply list at the end of the year that is sent out to parents, with all the required items for that grade level.   I always create my own lists for my students, as they often need very different items than their typical peers.  This year, my classroom will be a little different than the past, as I will be housing a variety of students, not just students who have severe/profound disabilities.  While working on supply lists, I actually found myself creating 3-4 lists for students that I had to send home.  The way my class is broken down, I have 3 students who are severe/profound, wheelchair users, with medical needs; I have 3 students who have moderate/severe Autism, 2 students on the Autism spectrum but spend most of their day in inclusion, and 4 other students with mild disabilities who I check in with 1x per day.  I had to break my school supplies down into three different lists, and here is what I came up with:

List 1:  The original school supply list for their grade level, with the items they will actually need highlighted on the list (for some students, most of the supplies were highlighted; for other students, only a few supplies).

List 2: The supply list I usually use for my students.  This is for my kiddos with medical needs who are switch users, so I put the following items instead of traditional pencils, paper, notebooks:

2- pack of Clorox wipes

2- 9V batteries

8- AA batteries

2- C batteries

6- rolls of paper towels

4 Magnetic Bulldog Clips

Grocery bags

List 3: Supplies for life skills that will be worked on during the school day (this list went to 8 of my 12 students):

-Wallet/Change Purse

-Toothbrush and Toothpaste (optional)

-Deodorant (optional)

-Complete change of clothes in case of spilling, accidents, etc. (optional)

-Any toileting supplies needed for students who are not toilet trained (undergarments/diapers, wipes, etc.)

-Brush or comb (optional)

-Pillow and Blanket (for students who are wheelchair users and need to get out of their chair)

-Donations of laundry soap, dish soap, and Clorox wipes are always appreciated throughout the year.



Hopefully I didn't confuse my parents with all of these lists!  I work in a building where the cost of supplies is not usually a concern for parents, but when I have had students who may not be able to afford supplies, I usually purchased these items for them.  What do you usually expect your parents to send in?




No comments:

Post a Comment