Thursday, January 28, 2010

Task Boxes

I'm looking at putting together some tasks boxes for the students in my classroom.  I created some last year and we used them, but I'm looking at using them with some different students and I need more of a variety of tasks.
For anyone not familiar with task boxes, they are a great component of a TEACCH or STACK program, especially for students with Autism.  They consist of a plastic box with lid, with items inside that are used by the student to put together different types of tasks depending on the skill you are working on.  Some different types of tasks include put on/in tasks, fine motor, matching, stacking, sorting, assembly, packaging, and job training.
I love the idea of purchasing task boxes, as everything is ready to go, there is no running around to different stores trying to find all the items you need for your activity.  However, for the websites I have looked at who sell pre-made task boxes, I just can't justify spending that much money (like $30-40 a box for some activities) for items I can go buy at Target or the Dollar store for so much less.
As I teach middle schoolers (grades 6-8), I plan to focus more on pre-vocational and academic tasks.  Here are some of the tasks boxes I have previously created:
-Putting greeting cards in envelopes and closing envelopes
-Folding washcloths
-Placing toothbrushes in matching toothbrush cases by color
-Place CDs in a CD case book
-Sort pencils according to color/style

My choices were somewhat limited in the past as the student I was creating them for only has use of her right hand, so the tasks were limited to those that she could do independently.  If you are looking for ideas to make or purchase task boxes, I recommend checking out www.hot-ideas.org, www.shoeboxtasks.com, or the books by Tasks Galore.

I will post info on the task boxes I create after deciding what to make and putting them together.  For now, off to Target!

1 comment:

  1. I have made about 265 of these kits and it has been wonderful for my students.

    ReplyDelete