Saturday, September 5, 2009

News-2-You: Military Families

This week's topic is Military Families.  I have some plans for the week, but if I change anything or add new activities I will post them here.  I'm still waiting to see if News-2-You ends up adding an extension activity for this one, as last week they didn't post it until halfway through the week.
Reading:
  • H is for Honor: A Military Family Alphabet by Devin Scillian and Victor Juhasz 
  • Love, Lizzie: Letters to a Military Mom by Lisa Tucker McElroy and Diane Paterson
  • News-2-You article of the week on Military Families
Music:   
  •  A Patriotic Salute to the Military Family (CD): I plan on using this CD in a switch activated CD player, where students can activate it using a switch to listen to during break times, or when they are stretching out of their wheelchair.
Cooking:
  • We will be making the News-2-You recipe for 'Solder Stripes', which is a parfait of vanilla pudding, blueberries, and sliced strawberries layered to look like red, white, and blue stripes.  I plan on recording the directions onto a switch for students to read the recipe, and we will be using our switch activated pourer to pour some of the ingredients for the recipe.  My other students will be determining the correct measuring tools to use, finding and measuring ingredients, reading the recipe, and answering questions about it.
Sensory Bin: 

  • Right now I'm thinking some army guys from the dollar store, and maybe some red white and blue beads, small flags, other patriotic items.  *If you have students who put items in their mouth, these may be a choking hazard*

I may still be trying to come up with some type of craft activity to go along with this week's plan.

1 comment: